Should You Go To A Urogynecologist?

It’s a good chance that you know what a gynecologist and OB/GYN is, but there are specialists there to help with certain aspects of the female body. A urogynecologist fits this category, these doctors are concerned with problems in the female urinary and reproductive area. There are certain conditions that can benefit from the expertise as well as the knowledge that these specialists like Dr. Uzoma Nwaubani in Wildwood bring to the field. When it comes to the decision to visit a urogynecologist, you can usually look to your body’s symptoms and current issues for a clue. Inquire about a referral or set up an appointment if you have any of these illnesses and learn what you might expect for an urogynecologist’s diagnosis.

Overactive Bladder

An overactive bladder happens when the muscles contract without getting the proper signals from the nerves; there are several reasons this condition can happen like childbirth, pelvic surgery, stress, and aging. The urogynecologist may select one or more of the treatment options after a thorough evaluation. Before trying surgery, they may suggest starting with Kegel exercises or bladder training to tighten muscles that have been stretched out due to normal sexual activity and childbirth. Their attention will move to medications or a pessary, which is a ring that will hold up the bladder and uterus if all other methods have failed.

Pelvic Organ Prolapse

This condition occurs when the muscles are weak, torn, or will no longer support the pelvic organs. These organs then push into the vagina and they can be inside the vagina or protrude outside the body. Pelvic organ prolapse can occur in anyone who is obese, over 60 years old, has a chronic cough, or giving birth to a baby that is over eight and a half pounds. A pessary can be put in place to help, but there are exercises that will strengthen the muscles in addition to the device. Surgery using either mesh or tissue from the body can bring support as well.

Childbirth Trauma

Trauma can happen during pregnancy or childbirth. The pressure put on the muscles of the pelvic floor causes muscles to become weak. Physical therapy and behavior modification are used for the treatment of this condition. A surgery called uterosacral suspension is also used to attach the vagina to the pelvis.

Interstitial cystitis

Interstitial cystitis is a chronic issue leading to bladder pain and pressure; there can also be pain in the pelvic region. The condition causes a person suffering from it to urinate often, but the amount of urine will be less than normal. This condition affects men as well as women, yet it is more likely to be seen in women. There are treatments that have been effective when administered by a urogynecologist. Medications such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories work with pain, while antihistamines can cut down on urgency to urinate. Nerve stimulation may help with muscles that control the bladder or pain in the pelvic region. For bladder installation, the urogynecologist uses a catheter to put medication in the bladder. The medications are left for around 15 minutes and then leave the body through urination; this treatment is done once a week for six to eight weeks. It will take up to a year to complete the course of medication.