You might be worried about having a heart attack because you do not know what to do to prevent it or what to do if you experience it. The only thing that lingers in your mind when you hear of it is death. You should not worry anymore because your Chalmette heart attack experts are here to share tips on how this life-threatening condition can be managed.
At Cardiac and Peripheral Vascular Services, you will meet Dr. Silva and his specialist cardiologist teams who will help you improve your health to reduce your risk of a heart attack. If you have ever suffered a heart attack, they can help you start living without fear of attacks.
Your doctor will let you know that a heart attack can occur when there is a blockage of blood flow to the heart. It can also happen when a part of the heart muscle is damaged by a ruptured plaque, forming a clot blocking the blood flow.
He will discuss with you various symptoms and signs of a heart attack. These are shortness of breath, cold sweat, fatigue, pressure or pain, or tightness in your chest or arms, lightheadedness, or sometimes sudden dizziness.
When you experience the above symptoms, your doctor will advise you on what to do before you arrive at the hospital.
- If recommended take aspirin: During a heart attack, aspirin helps to reduce heart damage by preventing blood clots.
- Call your doctor and have someone drive you to the hospital.
Dr. Silva will also let you know the causes of a heart attack, which are:
- The spasm of a coronary artery shuts down blood flow to some part of the heart muscles. Taking tobacco and drugs like cocaine causes a spasm.
- Blockage of some of your coronary arteries by cholesterol will form plaques, which narrows the arteries.
Your doctor will share some of the risk factors: High blood cholesterol, Obesity, high blood pressure, age, family history of heart attacks, tobacco smoking, lack of physical exercises, and stress.
Dr. Silva will let you know the complications of having a heart attack, which are:
- Heart failure is caused by damaged heart tissue, making it impossible for your heart muscle to pump required blood out of your heart.
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest where your heart stops due to an electrical disturbance causing abnormal heart rhythm.
- Abnormal heart rhythms are caused by developing electrical short circuits, which can lead to death.
Your doctor would let you know there are ways to prevent a heart attack even if you had suffered one. These are:
- Medication: Your doctor will prescribe medicine and let you know how often you need a check-up.
- Lifestyle factors: Your doctor will advise you on maintaining a healthy heart by taking a nutritious diet, exercising regularly, and controlling conditions that can cause a heart attack.
Your doctor will let you know that diagnosis and treatment will depend on which type of heart attack you had.
To get full details on maintaining a healthy heart and preventing a heart attack, call or book an appointment online with Cardiac and Peripheral Vascular services.