The latest technologies like mindinsole, machines, devices, etc. have reduced the need of walk drastically. With robots and now Panasonic’s movable fridge, you don’t even need to leave you dinner table to grab your favorite edibles and drinks. However, the need to walk can’t be eliminated together.
Considering the reduced walk time, we shouldn’t be wondering why many of us suffer from problems with our feet. Among the problems pertaining to feet, one major issues is with metatarsal bones.
Metatarsal bones absorb the pressure when we walk. Sometimes this pressure doesn’t get distributed evenly, which leads to server pain in feet. To distribute the pressure evenly, there are metatarsal pads.
In this post, we will review metatarsal pads manufactured by top brands in detail, i.e., their salient features, pros, cons and users’ feedback. In addition, we will also share a few vital points to consider before you buy the best metatarsal pads.
So let’s what we have for you!
Dr. Frederick’s Metatarsal Pads – The Best Choice for Men and Women
It is a comfortable and effective solution by Dr. Fredericks. They might appear to be flimsy and thin, but they don’t lack in performance. They are an outstanding choice for the people with metatarsalgia, blisters, and calluses. They’re brilliant when it comes to relieving pain in the ball of the foot.
- A pad measures 5x7x1 in inches with a weight of 7 ounces.
- The pads are made of stretching gel which offers excellent cushioning.
- They are absolutely appropriate for runners, bikers, walkers and hikers.
- The gel can spread to fit with the widest feet. If you have big feet, get a pair of the Dr. Frederick’s Metatarsal Pads without hesitation.
- They work best with snug fitting socks.
- They are sturdy, so they last longer.
- They may hurt if you choose the wrong size, so be careful in this regard.
The consumers of Dr. Frederick’s Metatarsal Pads are extremely pleased with the efficacy and practicality of these met pads. They say that they can wear their shoes for longer time because of these pads.
- Stretching material
- They may slide a little.
- A few users may need snug socks for firm placement.
The HappyFeet Metatarsal Cushion – Best in Self-Sticking Options
It is a highly effective product by HappyFeet. It is a quick solution for aching heels. They cushion the ball of the foot so as to relieve pain quickly and offer a smooth walking experience.
- They are easy-to-use and can do well with all kinds of shoes.
- They don’t easily get dirty and smelly. When they do, you can wash them. It also signifies that you can use these met pads for a much longer time.
- The HappyFeet is also included in the rusted circle of Amazon’s Choice.
- They don’t cause any allergic reactions to the wearers.
- The placement is quite easy.
- The manufacturer make a concrete satisfaction guarantee.
- One of the things consumers like about The HappyFeet Metatarsal Cushion is their self-sticking feature.
- Easily washable
- Compatible with various shoe types
- Highly efficient
- It is a little thick.
- Sometimes, it’s hard to take them off the feet.
Dr. Jill Felt Metatarsal Pads – A Budget-Friendly Choice
These felt metatarsal pads by Dr. Jill are highly efficient. The users are quite happy with their performance. One thing they do not seem to appreciate is stickiness after the use.
- They have a durable and compact design.
- They measure 2.25 x 2.75 x ¼ in inches.
- They weigh of 1.6 ounces only.
- They can alleviate pressure across the ball of the foot since their base is quite wide.
- Their self-adhesive backing avoids sliding effect.
- In a package, there are 10 pieces, so you won’t need new met pads for quite some time.
- For ease of use, you can stick them onto your shoe insoles.
- The users can also trim the pads to fit them better.
- Highly resilient
- Efficient performer
- Light in weight
- The majority of consumers find it a little sticky.
NatraCure Gel Metatarsal Sleeve – Best Metatarsal Pads for Runners
Offered by PolyGel, these met pads can be reused. They are ideal for the people into covering long walking distance and running.
- They are very effective against Morton’s neuroma and ball foot pain.
- They contain shock absorption gel, which makes wearer’s walking or running experience even smoother.
- They are suitable for men with a shoe size from 9.5 plus.
- They are suitable for women with a shoe size from 11.5 plus.
- These gel cushions also work well for boots.
- They can redistribute the wearer’s weight.
- These met pads have a resilient outer fabric for added comfort.
- They can work as the instant pain relievers.
- They are a little tight for some users.
- They look bulky.
- They mightn’t fit all shoe types.
Powerstep Metatarsal Cushions – Best Choice to Relieve Mild Pain
These metatarsal cushions are more like an insole, since they have all the features of insoles.
- These met pads are made of microcellular polyurethane.
- They work for specific shoe sizes, which indicate firm placemat. As a result, the user can have smooth walking ability.
- They perform well in case of mild pain. If you have severe pain, this won’t be a good choice for you.
- Self-adhesive backing
- Applicable for specific shoe size
- Quick pain reliever
- Inefficient for severe pain
A Practical Metatarsal Pad Buying Guide
There are many brands on the market, but all are not created equal. You can already see a few of the top brands above. Among such a huge collection, it becomes a tough task to choose one brand, especially when every brand claims to deliver the optimum result performance.
To help you further, we have outlined the vital points in this buyer’s guide, which you must consider when trying to buy the best metatarsal pads.
- What is a Metatarsal Pad?
- Why to Use Metatarsal Pads?
- Severity of Your Pain
- Placement Methods
What is a Metatarsal Pad?
A metatarsal pad, also known as met pad, is a small shoe modification device which facilitates the even distribution of pressure on metatarsal bones, i.e., metatarsal head, shaft and tissue.
Why to Use Metatarsal Pads?
Metatarsal bones absorb and distribute weight around the foot when we are standing. If any of the metatarsal bones breaks, it consequences in severe pain which can restrict the movement of the sufferer for some time.
The pressure which metatarsal bones absorb can get magnified and imbalanced when we wear shoes of poor quality and ridiculously high heels. To avoid this magnification and imbalance, metatarsal pads are used. They absorb the pressure and distribute it evenly around the foot. As a result, the pressure does not concentrate on metatarsal head. The pressure spreads to metatarsal shaft and surrounding tissue.
Thus, metatarsal pads facilitate you to wear shoes for longer time and you don’t experience discomfort at all.
At present, there’re 10 types of metatarsal pads, which are as follows:
1 – Pro-Tec Athletics
This type is flexible and profuse. Its ridged bottom helps you avoid the slippage.They are ideal for athletic shoes and daily footwear.
2 – SiliposSoftzone
If you are into high heels, they are a great treat for you. They don’t get under the toe area, which allows to manage the ball of the foot in an efficient manner.
3 – Pedefix Dancer’s Pads
As their name implies, these pads have been designed to facilitate dancers. They’re also suitable for constrictive footwear.
4 – Pro-Tec Met Lift Pads
If you don’t require cushioning in heel area, you must go for them, since they don’t have cushions. In fact, they are immediate pain relievers.
5 – Pedag T-Form
It is a big challenge for runners to keep their metatarsal pads in place while running. But these self-adhesive pads are the perfect solution for runners. When placed, these pads stick to the feet and remain in the same position until taken off. With Pedag T-Form met pads, you can run without worrying about adjusting the position of your met pads. They are perfect metatarsal pads for runners.
6 – Pedifix Deluxe
This type is great choice if you are into open toe and high heel. These met pads are covered in nylon which offers a smooth and comfy feel while walking.
7 – Footsmart Metatarsal Sleeve
These met pads have a sleeve which is wrapped around the feet to keep them in the precise place.
8 – PedifixVisco-Gel Met Pads (Toe Loop)
Unlike other types, they are designed to mold around wearer’s feet.
9 – Tuli Gel Pads
Though they are thinner, these met pads bring immediate pain relief to the wearers, which makes them one of the best metatarsal pads for metatarsalgia.
10 – Jill’s Met Pads
If you have small feet, Jill’s Met Pads are perfectly suitable for you. They’re so small that you can even keep them in your purse or wallet. They are mostly preferred by women.
Here you can see that knowing the types of metatarsal pads is vital to pick the best option. So, go through these types cautiously in order to determine the most suitable type for your feet.
Commonly, there are 3 materials which are used to manufacture metatarsal pads. They are:
1 – Open-Cell Polyurethane Foam
This material offers strong and enduring cushioning.
2 – Wool/Polyester Felt
Though they are less strong and enduring than polyurethane foam, still they can offer firm support.
3 – Latex and Leather
Leather is used to fortify the soft latex material. If you are sensitive to the use of latex, do not opt for this material.
Choosing the right size is a matter of extreme importance, so you must make sure that your met pads fit without any compromise to your feet.
If you get metatarsal pads of wrong size, they can rub against your feet and start new pain spots instead.Remember that the size of your met pads directly affects the comfort level.
When you shop online for the best metatarsal pads for metatarsalgia, you must check size information in the first place.
Here the size of your feet and shoes matter most to pick the right size of met pads.
Severity of Your Pain
There is a great variety of met pads, which aims to facilitate consumers with different requirements. Just like all met pads are not equal, severity of every consumer’s pain is not the same. Thus, you must consider this factor in mind your buy the best metatarsal pads for metatarsalgia.
There’re 3 placement methods of metatarsal pads, which are as follows:
1 – Self-Sticking to the Bottom of the Feet
There are met pads which stick to the bottom of your feet. This choice depends upon the type of shoes you wear. Right placement is vital for comfortable use.
2 – Self-Sticking to the Top of Shoe Insole
They stick on the top of your shoe insole. This placement method has three main advantages:
- It doesn’t cause skin irritation.
- Mets pads remain clean.
- Mets pads last longer.
3 – Velcro Attachment
This placement methods uses Velcro to fasten the pads under insole’s top surface.
You may need to try one or more placement methods to finalize what you find as the most comfortable option for yourself.
Finding the best metatarsal pads for running or metatarsalgia could have been a very tough task for you. But we are sure that reading reviews of the top brands and the buying guide above have made it a breeze for you.
Now simply apply the buying criterion, i.e., type you need, preferable material, right size, severity of your pain, and placement method and you will surely pick the best one.
Whichever pads you pick, make sure that you wear them appropriately to experience the comfort you deserve.
During our research, trial and according to users’ feedback, we can say that Dr. Frederick’s Metatarsal Pads seem to take the lead by far among the top brands.
Though Dr. Frederick’s Metatarsal Pads seem to work for the majority of people, the final decision must be yours. So, choose wisely since this decision concerns the comfort of your lifestyle.