Snoring is a common problem that affects most of us. If you or your sleep partner has the habit of snoring, it may be necessary to take some steps to fight the problem. Here are 5 ways that involve natural remedies in the fight against snoring.
1. Change your sleep position
Try to sleep on your side instead of your back. That will help you keep your airways open and prevent snoring. You should place a few pillows behind your body to stop rolling over in bed. Otherwise, there’s a trick with a tennis ball. Sew or fasten a tennis ball to the back of your night suit. This will prevent you from lying on your back.
2. Lose weight
It turned out that obese people snore more often than skinny people. Overweighting means extra tissues on the neck and in the throat alike. These tissues narrow your airways and thus create the vibrations. Try to lose weight if you are overweight.
3. Humidify your bedroom
A room with dry air can cause or contribute to snoring. That’s because dry air dries out nasal membranes and throat, creating a thick mucus in the throat and mouth. That can contribute to congestion in the airways and make tissues start vibrating. There are different ways to stay hydrated. Make sure to drink enough fluids throughout the day. An intake of 2-2.5 liters of water per day is enough. You can also consume fluids through foods, such as vegetables and fruit rich in water. An alternative is buying a humidifier to humidify your bedroom.
4. Quit smoking and avoid alcohol
Alcohol makes the throat muscles relaxed and obstructs airways. Tobacco smoke can irritate the throat and nose lining, which induces swelling. Likewise, cigarette smoke can irritate your mucous membranes, narrowing the airways. This means there’s less space for the air to go through breathing paths, which leads to snoring. The solution is simple -stop smoking and drinking alcohol. It is easier said than done, but you must try. That will not only reduce snoring but also reduce the risk of other diseases as well.
5. Exercise your throat and tongue
There are some exercises that can strengthen your throat and tongue muscles. This way, they will reduce your snoring.
- Protrude the lower as much as you can to go over your upper jaw. Your teeth showing can help you with this. Then count to ten. Make sure to repeat this up to ten times a day.
- Give your tongue a workout before going to sleep. There are a variety of tongue twisters to exercise your tongue. Say the sentence “She sells seashells by the seashore” 10-20 times before bed. You can also practice with the following phrases. “The lips, the teeth, the tip of the tongue.” “Tom threw Tim three thumbtacks” or “I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch.”
- Put your tongue out straight as far as possible and start moving it left, then right. Be sure to touch the corner of your lips each time. Do this at least twice a day.
If nothing helps, you should consider using an anti-snoring device. Click www.esnproducts.co.uk to get a better idea how those devices look like. There are also various treatment methods and anti-snoring herbal pills that reduce snoring.
Snoring is a tricky sleep disorder and there’s no a universal cure stop this condition. If a remedy works for some people, that doesn’t necessarily mean it will work for you, too. Try to figure out what causes your snoring to find a remedy treat will work best for you.