Benefits & Disadvantages of Using Overnight Diapers
In older adults, the incontinence is one of the most common problems. Urinary or fecal incontinence may occur and this is characterized by the involuntary loss of urine or excrement. For this to not affect the daily life of the elderly, there are different methods to avoid incontinence. With them, it is possible not to undermine the self-esteem of the elderly and their social relationships. If the elderly has a caregiver, whether professional or family, it is good to take measures to make the incontinence less. The measures we must take are as follows;
- Establish regular schedules in which the elder goes to the service, as well as assisting him as often as necessary.
- Try to make the way to the bathroom short and easy to access. In this way, when you feel like going to the bathroom, it will be quick and less uncomfortable. In addition, we must take into account that the route is well lit and free of the obstacles to avoid tripping or falls, and always have safety items to avoid the danger.
- It is necessary to motivate the patient to contain everything he can until he reaches the bathroom. In this way, they will feel livelier as well as always treat them with respect and give them all the affection necessary for the older adult to feel the best they can.
When Should We Use Overnight Diapers for Adults?
If the elderly continues to have urinary or fecal incontinence with these tips, overnight diapers should be used for the reason that it is one of the most effective methods to counter incontinence in the elderly.
We must take into account certain aspects when choosing the same to fit in the best way the body of the older adult. There are different types of overnight diapers that can be adapted to each patient, so we must choose the right one for each of them. The types we can find are as follows;
They are placed between the bed and the sick, as they serve as a bed protector.
They fit with adhesive strips, similar to the babies.
They are like panties or underpants and are put in the same way.
Within these types of overnight diapers, we must take into account their absorption capacity, the time taken to absorb and retain the liquid, as well as to keep the surface dry.
How Do We Change Overnight Diapers for Adults?
To change the diaper to an older adult, it is imperative that the task is performed between two people, especially if it is a dependent person and cannot collaborate in the situation. To make the diaper change, we must apply the following steps;
- We must place the old man face up and remove the fastening straps.
- We make the old man turn to one side to remove the used overnight diaper, always folding it inwards so as not to stain, and pull it carefully to remove it.
- Clean the area with soap and water. If necessary, skin care products may be applied to prevent the appearance of the wounds.
- Once clean and with the old man still turned, we must slide the overnight diaper between the bed and the same, and then turn him to the other side, so that it is centered.
- Finally, we will adjust the adhesive strips of the diaper, so that it is correctly fastened.
As we can observe, there are several advantages and disadvantages of the use of overnight diapers in the elderly, since with them they may feel more vulnerable and insecure. However, treating them with affection and normality will make them feel comfortable with them. In cases of severe dependence, it is almost inevitable to use them as it is the easiest and most comfortable way for the patient.